Front-End Developer (junior/mid-weight)
The Digital division in McCann Bristol is responsible for the strategic development, planning, user experience, design, development and ongoing support and aftercare for many of the agency’s clients.
Working in an integrated agency across all divisions (PR, Media, Advertising), the team creates a range of digital solutions including enterprise class websites, campaign sites, apps and mobile/tablet solutions.
You will demonstrate solid knowledge of development methodologies (TDD, BDD etc) and have practical experience of Git. You will need to keep projects running smoothly by delivering outcomes on time and on budget whilst maintaining a profitable service and you will be expected to ‘go the extra mile’ in representing the agency.
Most importantly, we ask you to take responsibility for your own learning and career development by participating in learning events, undertaking self-learning and positively contributing to your performance management requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills along with strong related technical skills, and a history of successfully operating as part of a team that organises, plans, and executes large-scale projects or assignments from vision to implementation.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of your technical area of expertise, our clients, competitors, and relevant technology platforms and trends; keep this updated at all times; exploit agency tools to understand client brand and deliverables.
- Contribute opinions and ideas for applying new and emerging technologies and ways of working; understand technical problems; design, code and manage the solutions.
- We need positive can-do attitudes, people who are self-starters and take accountability for what they do.
- We need team players, who are capable of providing time quotations for work and can support the production of IA/UX and Technical Specifications for projects by providing technical guidance where required.
- Become an integral member of the development team by ensuring code quality and functionality are well tested (unit tests, bespoke tests, cross browser and cross platform) before presentation to the client and to ensure bugs are fixed in a timely manner.
- People with experience of presenting completed development to the client and that can respond to any technical questions that may arise.
Experience - Essential
- Minimum 3 years of HTML/CSS/JS experience
- Experience of using and integrating front end code with a PHP framework (such as Laravel or Yii) or CMS
- Experienced in developing mobile first responsive websites, without the use of frameworks such as bootstrap, foundation, etc
- Building emails
- Accountable, with the ability to take ownership of development
- Excellent teamwork, organisational, communication, and multitasking skills
- Analytical approach to problem determination and solving
- Ability to work with Creative teams to implement their creative vision across all mediums
- Experience with Git and related methodologies
- Ability to identify future developments
- Passion for keeping up to date with tech
- Friendly, approachable, calm, understanding
- Ability to work as part of a team, or individually on their own initiative
- Ability to work well in a very fast-paced environment
Experience - Desirable
- Ideally you will have worked in a digital agency environment before
- Knowledge of other programming languages
- Web services development
- Any experience of content management systems such as Craft, Wordpress, Umbraco, Magento would be advantageous
- Build tool systems such as Composer and Gulp
- Experience of developing highly accessible sites
A bit of sell: McCann is a Gold Investor In People. We’ve got training coming out of our ears and track record of promoting from within. We provide breakfast, chocolate, fruit and a load of other nice stuff that just might make every day a little better.